Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You are the Gateway to Judaism

As I participated in Shacharit Services this morning and for the first time the entire HUC class of 2012 (Rabbis, Cantors, and Jewish Educators) chanted the Shehekeyanu, I got goosebumps. It was made clear to us throughout today that we are embarking on an adventure - it is our responsibility to embrace this journey and soak in everything that comes our way.

The Rabbinical Program at HUC is not only a seminary, but also a professional and graduate school. These elements are encompassed by our immersion to the Hebrew language, participation in Israel (through text study, field trips, and community service), workshops (Reform Jewish Liturgy, leading services, chanting Torah, and writing a sermon), and exploration of history (Rabbinic Literature, Jewish Thought).

On Sunday, I begin my immersion program to the Hebrew language. I was told that there was no way I would be fluent in Hebrew at the end of the year, simply because I will be learning so many different "Hebrews:" Modern, Ancient, Rabbinic, Liturgical ... the list goes on. My immersion to Hebrew will never end - it is a lifetime experience.

Nevertheless, I have been placed in Hebrew Alef, so the only direction I can go in my Hebrew ability is up. While it will be no less difficult than the other levels, it starts you from the beginning and you have plenty of space to improve.

In addition to my Ulpan, I will attend a "My Israel" Series where Israeli Rabbinic Students talk about their experiences in Israel and the Progressive Jewish Movement. On next Thursday, I will travel to the Tayelet, a Promenade with a view of the Old City that's amazing. In addition, I will go to Warren's Shaft and Hezekiah's Tunnel, both locations which played a role in early Israel Monarchy...

So yeah...I am kinda excited :)

More to come!

PJ

4 comments:

MorahMichelle said...

you reminded me of my first arrival in jerusalem and making shechyanu and brught goosebumps to me as well

delliebrod said...

Hey there. Love getting and look forward to all of your emails. Grandma is having a problem writing back to you through the blog or your email. Will see if Uncle David can help her out. Will write again soon. Love you - Auntie Del and Uncle Miles

delliebrod said...

PJ - I was little confused and first posted this under some other date. I think I have it right now . . . I'm going to print out the blogs and sit back with them and enjoy your adventures. Love and hugs - Auntie Del

Jen Gubitz said...

Aleph PLUS rules!