Friday, July 20, 2007

Week 1, Part 1

This weekend marks my first full month in Jerusalem - it's amazing how quickly it has passed and how much has already been done (and how much more there is to accomplish!). The greatest lesson I have learned this month is that the Rabbinical Program, especially the Year in Israel, prepares one for their lives as Jewish professionals more outside the classroom than inside the classroom. We all have challenges in our lives that tests our dignity and our capacity to overcome stressful moments. HUC is quite aware that they admitted 53 type A personalities who all at their weakest moments will clash because of their type A personalities. Yet, as a community, and as individuals, we can truly shine.

I remember during orientation how we were told that we are the "gateway" to Judaism. While many charge Reform Judaism as a faith that brings people out of tradition, in many respects we are truly allowing people in (especially those who wouldn't be as accepted in other communities, i.e. homosexuals). I have chosen a path where I am part of the future of Judaism - and with the changes that lie ahead, these challenges that I have today are great preparation for the rest of my life. Whether it be questioning whether to wear a kippah in non-kosher restaurants or supporting friends in times of need or even just learning how to recieve a discount on property tax for apartments in Jerusalem, EVERYTHING here is a lesson to be learned. Israel is going to force me to let go of attempting to control all my surroundings and sometimes just go with the flow - the Rabbinical program truly helps ground you (which is a much more exciting experience than having sand bags placed on your feet for at least 5 hours in cold lake water ... that's another story for another day, but if you know my father, you understand his unique ways of teaching me things ... but yeah, it happened, and yeah ... it really worked).

School is in full throttle (and it is funny that is actuality, it really isn't because the summer is much more laid back). Classes started last Sunday and ulpan is going well. I've been placed in Hebrew Alef, but after a fiasco about Hebrew placement it seems that there is not much of a difference between Alef and Bet, as we all scored within 10 points of each other on the placement exam. Nevertheless, I am sticking with Alef because it gives me the opportunity to re-learn old material in a different way (that is, she teaches the class in 80% Hebrew), strengthen my weaknesses, and learn new vocabulary. The teacher is absolutely wonderful and she's really wanting us to succeed - and if I work hard and study hard, I can be placed in a higher Hebrew class come fall.

Next entry: All about Teffilah (prayer) and Jerusalem Days (with pictures borrowed from friends, because my camera isn't working!)

And finally part 3 (if needed): Extra Curriculars

No comments: