Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Transition: It Can Be A Blessing

Things have been quite hectic and overwhelming lately here in Israel, but at the same time quite amazing and spiritually uplifting.

This past weekend I spent my first Shabbat in Israel, and it was during this Shabbat that I learned of an even broader range of practice within Reform Judaism. "Progressive" Judaism, as Israelis call it, incorporates many dynamics of more traditional religious practice (i.e. the use of no power on Shabbat, eating Kosher, and demonstrating a clear division of the service itself with prayers that I had never been exposed to). My classmates as well range from individuals who have grown up using their cell phones on Shabbat to those who keep Shabbat as if they were Orthodox. My point is not to separate my classmates or Israelis from what I am used to, but to stress that the great thing about Reform Judaism is that one can define their faith the way they feel is best.

Sunday I moved into my new apartment - things have been stressful as I am still trying to get internet (I am using wireless at a friend's house as we speak), making my room feel more at home, and buying the essentials for my home for the year. I hope that within another week or so I will have everything set up - including Vonage! Nevertheless, things are falling into place.

One of the biggest struggles that I will have is learning the liturgy. There are so many prayers that I don't know, and I definitely feel that I need to catch up. There are morning services at HUC almost every day and I am slowly understanding the format. We are using the new Mishkan Teffilah prayer book which is awesome! The good news is this: I am working with a fifth year rabbinical school student who is serving as an intern to help ease the transition to Israel. She is going to be teaching me some of the liturgy. Also, one of my classes beginning in Sept. is Liturgy - I will learn Orthodox, Conversative, and Reform structure of services and prayers and by then I'll be set!

School/Orientation officially begins next Tuesday....more details to come on what I will be doing for the next two months.

Talk to you soon!

PJ

No comments: