Friday, July 13, 2007

Finding a Teffilat Ha Derech

The final session of my first day of orientation was a group activity in which we explored three different accounts of the Teffilat Ha Derech ("The Traveler's Prayer") , a prayer recited by one who is on a personal journey. A version of this prayer is below:

May it be Your will, Hashem, our God and the God of our ancestors, that You lead us toward peace, guide our footsteps toward peace, and make us reach our desired destination for life, gladness, and peace. May You rescue us from the hand of every foe, ambush along the way, and from all manner of punishments that assemble to come to earth. May You send blessing in our handywork, and grant us grace, kindness, and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us. May You hear the sound of our humble request because You are God Who hears prayer requests. Blessed are You, Hashem, Who hears prayer.

After discussing each version of each prayer we were asked to write our own:

God give me the strength to overcome my fears, the courage to act with dignity, and the opportunity to embrace and enjoy my journey.

This mantra, while short, truly reminded me of how much I have learned from my family. Mom, Dad, and Austin - I miss you every day, and while you are not here, our table talk discussions still are part of my life :)

Yesterday, the Vice President of Strategic Planning came to talk with our group. He emphasized the fact that each of us has something unique to share, and that our education at HUC will fill in the blanks of things we don't know. HUC President David Ellenson reminded us that we will have to work hard, but to choose this journey is a blessing.

I am being taught by some amazing people, and am working with pioneers in Jewish life. Whether it be stateside where I will learn from famous Judaic scholars, or here in Jerusalem where the Director of the Year in Israel Program was the first Women Progressive Rabbi in Israel and is related to the individual who made the deciding vote of the Columbus Platform (through Reform history, there have been various platforms that outline the theology of the Reform Movement), I am becoming part of an elite group who embraces Judaism in a way I have never been exposed to.

We also found out yesterday that the Cincinnati Campus is undergoing a 12 million dollar renovation for a new, state of the art library that will be completed in two years. Technologically, video courses will allow students to have access to scholars that they might now otherwise. Beginning in September, students will have access to various Hebrew wordprocessing databases, Biblical databases that allows you to search for words, phrases, or ideas, and it tells you how many times it appears in the Bible.

This weekend will be a special one. Alumni are in town and will be joining us for Shabbat at HUC. I'll fill you in later.

PJ

1 comment:

ajsea said...

PJ!! It's Alan Sea! Sorry you haven't heard from me in forever; you may or not be aware that I was unable to return to Charleston in the Spring which would explain my sudden absence. I am, however, excited to return this Fall. I am glad I found your blog. I should thank Gubitz for linking to you. (See, I'm not kidding when I say I know nearly every Jew from NFTY-OV who plans become a Rabbi). Anyway, hope you're having an amazing time so far and I look to reading all about your experiences; it'll be like looking into future! Spooky!