Friday, August 3, 2007

Walking the Bible

It's hard to believe that I have already been in Israel for six weeks! It seems fitting, then, that perhaps my most spiritual experience in Israel has occurred this week. The focus of this week's Jerusalem Days programming was the Second Temple Period - both the glory and destruction on one of the most important periods in Jewish history. During the Second Temple period, Jerusalem was at its height - but eventually fell to destruction by the Romans.

Each Jerusalem Day is meant to bring the Bible to life, but yesterday seemed to do so more than any other trip we have had thus far. As I walked through the Dung Gate to arrive near the Temple Mount location, one could see the Dome of the Rock. I got chills knowing that below the Muslim influence of archecture and faith, lie history, both unknown and known of the Jewish people. Beneath the Dome of the Rock is Mount Moriah, where Abraham may have nearly sacrificed his son, Isaac. Now a Muslim Museum and a Mosque, the area next to the Dome was originally the Temple Mount. One can see how massive the structure truly was, as stones and rocks weighing tons lay on top of one another. Rocks from the original destruction are on the ground, with people performing Bar Mitzvahs at the wall. Stairs that led up to the Temple Mount are still intact, as well as ritual baths used to purify oneself before give a sacrifice to the Holy of Holies. We walked the Western Wall tunnels where original stones from the time of Herod are still the foundation for the remnants of the wall, we could see the original city beneath current Jerusalem, and walked below the approximate location of where the chamber for the Holy of Holies was.

I got constant chills throughout the day and felt and overwhelming amount of emotion. For some reason yesterday I felt so connected to Israel and the history behind it. The purpose of this year is for us find our own Judaism and determine Israel's relationship to it, and yesterday truly served that purpose.

I'll update more later on what the Fall semester is going to look like and the amazing opportunities that lie ahead!

PJ

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi PJ,

I really love reading your blog. I feel like I am sharing your experiences with you.

I just spoke to the Rabbi who lives across the street from me and he told me that he has two interns this year from the Hebrew University in Cincinnati. Of course, that made me think of you!

We will miss you next month when your Mom,Dad and Austin come here to visit.

It sounds like everything is going well for you in Israel. I hope that you are enjoying yourself when you are not studying or in school.

LOve,
Karen