Friday, August 3, 2007

I "New" That

As the summer semester comes to a near close (19 days!), the feel around HUC is changing. No longer is HUC new to all of us, and a routine is starting to form. We have had a variety of liturgy and synagogue skills workshops to ensure that every classmate is on the same page - I now have had a general introduction to the entire Blessing after the Meal, the traditional Havdallah (ending of Shabbat) service, and Kiddush (blessing of the Sabbath wine). I'll learn about the Torah (its blessings, dressing and undressing, etc.), putting on teffilin (the leather phylactaries traditional Jews wear), and other synagogue skills. Come the High Holy Days we'll take a step back from regular study and learn about rituals related to Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). While liturgy and ritual is something that I am not strong at, I have had a general understanding of basic prayers and rituals all of my life. Now, as I both review and learn new things, I realize the complexity of a prayer and am beginning to understand the "why" rather than the "how."

During my break I plan on also exploring the "why" and "how" on what I know will be a powerful experience. I am travelling to Auschwitz, and while I don't want to say that I am excited to go, I am patiently waiting to have such an opportunity of a lifetime. The understanding of evil and suffering in the world is something I have tried to tackle before, and going to a place where the greatest evils occurred definitely will provide insight into the matter.

As solemn as my trip will be, it seems to be a fitting transition from the summer to fall. I'll be challenged to ask questions and reconcile with these issues, which is something that I will do a lot as a rabbi. This fall, my schedule will change dramatically - I'll be taking Hebrew (Classical and Modern), Liturgy, Rabbinic Literature or Bible, and History of Israel. In addition, I will participate in 2-4 hours of community service a week. The big surprise is this: my Hebrew, Liturgy, and Bible course will all be taught in Hebrew, based on my current Hebrew level. It's going to be an intense year, but I definitely am looking forward to it!

Okay, I'm off to finish cleaning my apartment because I'm having 20 people over for Shabbat dinner tonight...I'm getting my camera soon, so pictures will come ASAP.

PJ

No comments: