Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Next Stage

As I begin my week long vacation, I reflect upon how much I've actually learned over the past two months. It's hard to believe that so much time has flown by so quickly, and it's amazing to think that the rest of this year will do the same. In about four hours I will leave for the Ben Gurion Aiport to catch a flight to Krackow, Poland and I will spend five days exploring Jewish history, including a Shabbat trip to Aushwitz and Birkeneau. While I can't say that I am "excited" for this trip, I can say that I am looking forward to having what I hope to be a spiritually restoring experience. To stand outside the barracks that many victims once did, including theologian Elie Wiesel who in his famous book, Night, challenged his relationship to God but refused to turn his back on God. For me, the greatest test of faith is having faith even when there is no reason to keep it. For Wiesel, "God behaved badly." He held God accountable for God's actions and that profound statement continues to be a mark of the evolution of Judaism. I promise to have pictures to share with you when I return.

A week ago we began the Jewish month of Elul, which is a month of introspection. This month is encompassed by our preparation for the New Year, and it is important for us to reflect upon the past year and reevaluate our relationship to ourselves and the world. It's very appropriate that I have ended my Ulpan with great success and now am shifting gears in a week for the academic semester. My liturgy professor, who will be a mentor to me this year, made it clear that our only expectation for this year is to know more than you did coming - but it doesn't mean one will know everything. This year is a year of skills - understanding the structure of Liturgy, how to read the Talmud or Midrash, and how to interpret the Bible theologically, historically, and culturally. I'll learn to chant Torah and Haftarah, and learn how to lead a High Holy Day service (a skill I must have as I will return to the states and lead High Holy Day services!). I'll continue to emerse myself in Israel and its wonderful (and not so wonderful characteristics). And more importantly, I'll continue to grow as a human being and a future Jewish professional.

I'm ready. Bring it on.

PJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,
this is top ten list is pretty funny stuff. Maybe you should spend more time in jail to sharpen your material. but seriously, can you file a complaint against the cops?

i'm enjoying the blog in general too.