Monday, June 4, 2007

I'll Be Rabbi PJ in Five Years

Dear Friends and Family,

Many of you have asked me to keep in touch with you during my Year in Israel, so I figured that this would be an easy way to share with you my experiences and post pictures.

I'm quite excited and thrilled to finally be able to say that in five years I will be ordained as a Rabbi in the Reform movement. As many of you know, I will be assigned to one of three campuses when I return to the states: Los Angeles, New York, or Cincinnati. I will know in a few weeks which campus I will be placed at, but I am hoping that I will spend the remainder of Rabbinical School in Cincinnati. During my interview, I was welcomed with open arms and already felt "home."

I offically leave for Israel on June 23. In the meantime, I will spend the next weeks in Greenville spending time with family and enjoying the little break that I have. Fortunately, I recently met one of my classmates who will be travelling on the same flight with me! In addition, he graciously offered to let me stay at his apartment with his wife and daughter while I spend my first couple weeks in Israel searching for an apartment. I do, however, have a 27 year old roommate who has been working in Finance and Telecommunications for the past 5 years. He will arrive a few days after me and we'll begin the search process.

The program does not actually start until July 11. I'll begin my studies with a four day orientation and then start what is called an "ulpan," an intensive, two month Hebrew course. In addition to the ulpan, I'll participate in community service projects, attend and lead services, and have field trips throughout Israel. Once I have completed the ulpan, I will begin taking courses in Biblical Hebrew, Grammar, Liturgy, Bible, and Rabbinic Literature in September. The service projects, services, and trips throughout Israel will continue throughout the entire year.

While I will not be back in the states until early June of next year, please keep in touch! I will keep my e-mail address, Gemini61415@aol.com and will also keep my phone number (864) 350-0304. I have signed up for a great service called Vonage, which allows me to keep this phone number. For $25 a month, I have unlimited international minutes and you can call me without any international fees!

I'll be sure to write as frequently as possible and look forward to sharing my journey with you.

PJ

5 comments:

MorahMichelle said...

I'm so excited for your adventures and that you'll be sharing them with us

MiniJew89 said...

i,i,i

will,will,will

love,love,love

and,and,and

miss,miss,miss

you,you,you

!,!,!

Your Sista From Anotha Motha,

Rachel

your little seesta said...

yayyyy for geting to keep in touch with you for the next year,....love youu

Anonymous said...

MISS YOU


LOVE YOU

YOUR, MOM

Karen said...

Hi PJ,
Sounds like you are adjusting well to Israel. It is so wonderful to be able to keep up with you through this blog. I hope that you are having fun as well as learning.
Love,
Karen