Monday, January 21, 2008

It Seems Like Only Yesterday I Started

I didn't realize how much I have learned over the past semester until I started sharing my experiences with others. For 7 months I have constantly been challenging myself as a Rabbinical student and a Jew to find personal meaning in my faith, and it was recently when I came to the conclusion that this journey will not stop at the end of my year in Israel. While this is something that I had already known at some level, the reality is that I have been so immersed in the study of Judaism and Israel that I rarely have given myself the chance to just step back and reflect.

I've been back in the states for a week and it becomes more and more clearer that this was indeed the right decision - I've established professional relationships with both my congregations in Greenville and Charleston, been able to embrace the lasting friendships I left behind in May, spend quality time with family, and of course, returning the favor when it comes to Michelle, as she came to visit me and now I am in Charleston visiting her. It has been an absolutely wonderful vacation, and I still have nearly a week left in the states and an additional few days back in Jerusalem before I begin the semester.

The good news is that there is a lot to look forward to. Faculty from stateside HUC campuses as well as other Reform Jewish scholars will address us over a three day professional forum encompassing various issues that are present in the Reform movement as a start to our second semester. I will already know the ropes, so I won't have to worry about going through the adjustment face, and I can spend much more time embracing Israeli culture and trying to come to terms with the complex nature of Israeli society. I will take some new courses as well, studying Rabbinics (Jewish commentaries such as Talmud and Midrash), the Politics of Israel, and a course preparing us to lead High Holy Day services. In addition, I will spend a lot of time getting ready for the big trip of the semester: I am leading Passover services in Belarus, Russia! It is going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity and an amazing experience. And to top it all off I will be chanting Torah once more, leading another Dv'ar Torah (sermon), and leading services.

I am in the early stages of planning my summer, and while I can't announce my plans quite yet, let's just say that it is another wonderful opportunity that has presented itself to me and I look forward to sharing it with you!

Ok....drum roll please....

ALL pictures from Fall 2007 Semester are now posted at http://www.webshots.com/user/pjschwartz

Take a look!

PJ

No comments: