Thursday, September 27, 2007

Yom Kippur in Jerusalem

I woke up early last Friday morning and decided to treat myself to breakfast before things closed for both Shabbat and Yom Kippur. While stores and restaurants were open, it was clear as I walked throughout Downtown Jerusalem that everyone was already preparing themselves for Yom Kippur. Many restaurants and stores usually open prior to Shabbat were closed, and the usual feel of an American Saturday morning and afternoon (that is the best way to describe Fridays in Israel) was not present.

As the day progressed, the city became even quieter and cars driving on the street began to disappear. I had a wonderful pre-fast dinner at my friends' apartment, and come 5:00 last Friday, everything had shut down. As I prayed with my friends and visitors in Blaustein Hall that overlooked the Old City, the transition from daylight to moonlight helped put me in the introspective mood. By the end of the service, it was evident that Yom Kippur, even with our 8 hour reprieve between evening and morning services, was truly one, long day that was symbolized by our seeking atonement from and at one ment with God.

After services, I walked home only to find the streets of Jerusalem empty of cars but filled with people of all ages - adults singing, children riding their bikes, only what could be described as a "block party" to help pass the time. I woke up the next morning and felt a breeze that could only be a glimpse of fall weather (since then, I wake up to the glazing sun and the sweat that quickly develops on my t-shirt), and attended services. As the day progressed, my fast became quiet difficult. I was exhausted and began to develop a hunger headache. At concluding services, I had the opportunity to blow my shofar (yes, I bought a shofar, and I can blow it!) and quickly break the fast with my friends.

The feel of Yom Kippur was quite different than that of the states. Was it more meaningful? Maybe. But what I do know is that was an amazing opportunity to experience it in Israel!

PJ

No comments: