Friday, September 14, 2007

Shanah Tovah

It's hard to believe that I have already completed 25% of my first year of Rabbinical school. It's hard to believe that I am learning new things and new ways to study things I've learned before. It's hard to believe that this year is so different from last. A year ago I was a senior in college, frantically working on a Bachelor's Essay that I couldn't seem to find structure to. I was "playing" rabbi at the local synagogue, assisting with programming throughout the High Holy Days, and served a similar role at the Hillel as Religious and Cultural Chair. I was preparing to retake the GRE, and I had just recieved my application packet to HUC.

Now, I am in Jerusalem. I am a first year rabbinical school student and I still am amazed at the many things I am learning and will learn. I am finding new ways of examining things that I have in the past, and developing and idea of what my Reform Judaism is.

This week, in preparation for the High Holy Days, we had a three day program that provided us with an overview of S'lichot, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. My relationship to these days have dramatically changed over the past couple weeks, and this program seemed to be the icing on the cake. While I have never observed S'lichot (the days, or month (depending on if you are Ashkenazic or Sephardic) leading up to the High Holy Days), I always find myself doing a lot of reflecting right before the new year. I look at who I am, where I have been, and I what I hope to become in the future. S'lichot always falls immediately during the beginning of the new year, which seems most appropriate because I always find myself readjusting to the world around me when I go back to school.

And now, as we are now in the midst of Rosh Hashanah, I attended services with such a different lens this year. Much of the program I participated in earlier in the week was related to the understanding of the liturgy and scriptural readings themselves. As my professors described to me what was included, what was taken out, the difference in melodies, and most importantly, the meaning behind each prayer, I began to think about the ways that I would like to make these days important to me, especially during a service. HUC services are the most American-Reform style services in town, using the prayerbooks that I have become so accustomed to. Yet, every time I go, the service becomes more and more familiar as I learn its structure, but more and more foreign as I realize the complexity behind the prayer. Everything is in Hebrew, with the exception of the sermon, so the responsive readings I have come to know are no longer part of the service. Do I find this a good thing, or do I find it a bad thing? Well, it's complicated. In my opinion, these readings, if we use too much of them, can become repetitive and take away from the meaning of the prayer. Yet, if you take them out, you are at risk for the congregation to not be able to have meaningful prayer as well. In a more practical sense, the role of the Rabbi dramatically changes as well. Over the past two days, the Rabbi barely participated in the service up until the sermon. The cantor and the choir guided the congregation in prayer. While the music of the prayer is gorgeous and it's wonderful to hear the cantor and choir, I feel that it takes away from congregant participation. As a future rabbi, and Jewish professional, I really want to be able to explore the balance in roles, where all parties can have a meaningful prayer experience.

Nevertheless, it was quite powerful to see some of my friends have their solos and empower us with Avinu Malkeinu. In addition, I prayed looking directly at the Old City - an opportunity that I will rarely have once I leave Israel. I was able to have some sense of "family" here, attending a dinner with many friends on Erev Rosh Hashanah and lunch yesterday. The city itself is as dead as it is on Shabbat - stores are closed, and it's much easier to cross the street!

Next week, I'll have another full week of classes before Yom Kippur. This sacred day is apparently intensified in Jersualem. While small 24 hour stores can be found open during Rosh Hashanah and you still can see cars on the road, Yom Kippur brings Jerusalem to a halt - you can't get away from the Day of Atonement, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the most sacred day of the year in the most sacred place in the world.

After Yom Kippur, I head with my classmates to the Galilee/Golan. When I return, I have my last break before I have three months straight of studies and schooling. I am going with a bunch of friends to Sinai, to relax at a Marriott Resort and hopefully get to see some pyramids and sights if it's safe! I'll take pictures, and share with you my adventures soon!

PJ

No comments: