Sunday, May 25, 2008

Top 10 Things I Will Miss About Israel

In no particular order:

10. The Shabbat Smell of Fridays: There is something special about Fridays in Israel. Everyone is anxiously awaiting Shabbat and everyone is a little bit nicer. These were the days that I could relax, detach myself from the rest of the hectic school week, and breathe in the fresh air.

9. Cup o' Joe and the Israeli Breakfast: My home away from home at least once a week, especially on Fridays for lunch. Wheat bread, Egg White Omelette, with salad, tuna, and cheeses... yumm.

8. The Makolet: These small convenient stores are found on practically every corner of Jerusalem. If you didn't want to go major grocery shopping, or just wanted a quick snack, this was the place to go.

7. Walking: Next school year will be the first time in 5 years where I will have to drive to school (hopefully I will live somewhere close and perhaps still be able to walk!)

6. Hebrew: There are so many phrases that I will miss, but likely will continue to use. For example - the word "balagan" implies craziness, problems, or difficulties that occur in situations.

5. The View of the Old City: I took it for granted, but the Old City was only a 15 minute walk from my house. It was literally my backyard!

4. My classmates: 53 to 9. It was nice to not have to truly say goodbye to everyone since I will see them come fall, but many others will be going to the LA or NY campuses. These are friends who have taught me a lot and I will miss them.

3. Azza Street: Barber, Fruit Stand, Restaurants

2. Challah: I'd better find some good Challah in Cincy.

1. Culture: It's hard to define, hard to describe - but it's one of the most fascinating.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......