Sunday, April 27, 2008

My Heart is in the East

I need to be honest with you. When I decided to become part of the FSU Pesach Project, I had no idea that I would be impacted as much as I was during the past week in Belarus. Our months of preparation existed to alleviate any fears we had about leading Pesach Seders in a foreign community. Each of us knew that this was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. All of us had family originating in Eastern Europe, and were curious to experience a least part of the culture of our ancestors.

When I left for Belarus a week ago, all of these general feelings toward the trip were at the forefront of my mind. I knew I was about to do a huge mitzvah to small, struggling communities who had one Rabbi to represent all of Belarus. I had no idea of what to expect – we knew very little about our schedules, but we knew we were about to be representatives of the Jewish people. For these communities, having someone even remotely like a Rabbi to come join their events is a huge deal. In addition, the idea of having someone who has been studying in Israel for the year intensifies their excitement.

We were welcomed by Rabbi Grisha Abramovich, Belarus’s only Reform Rabbi. As we took our hour long ride to Minsk, he told us a little more about our communities and reminded us what our role was going to be throughout the week. On Friday morning, I was introduced to my translator, a 20 year old female who is studying to become a linguist. Her enthusiasm to work with my classmate and I was contagious, and we quickly became both colleagues and friends. Because of her, everything went smoothly. While she was only two years younger than me, I was greatly impressed by her maturity. She put both myself and my classmate at ease while we were working, and I am convinced that it was because of her that my trip was a success.

Friday afternoon we arrived in Polosk to lead a Seder for the elderly and meet with the Netzer kids for Kabbalat Shabbat. This small community welcomed us with open arms and was curious to get to know us personally. When I told them my family was from Leychovitch, Lithuania – they quickly corrected me and told me that Leychovitch was located in Belarus. Immediately I received chills down my spine and it seemed clear that my connection with the East truly emerged within my heart.

Throughout the next week, whether when I led Seders in Polosk, or when I worked at the Kindergarten in Vitesbk, the cultural center of Belarus, I truly felt “home.” While there was a clear language barrier between these communities and myself, there were many instances where language did not prevent us from communicating with each other. The head of the Jewish Community in Polosk quickly became a grandmother to me, and a thirteen year old in Netzer was extremely motivated to teach me about his life in Belarus, while I taught him some new English words. At the kindergarten in Vitebsk I made the same jokes that I made with children in the United States. I am still letting this entire experience sink in, but it renewed my desire to become a Rabbi and enhanced my relationship to Judaism and Israel. Each community had more passion for Judaism than I had ever seen in my entire life. Those who had been to Israel were excited to share their stories. Those who had never been only could imagine what Israel could be like. All the controversy of Israel had a political and national entity was ignored while all the beauty of Israel, its history, and relationship with the Jewish people drove their love.
This trip definitely has been one of the major highlights of my first year in Rabbinical School, and was a fitting way to begin the end of such an important year. I came to Israel as an entirely different person. I had just graduated from college, I had never truly been away from home before, and I had no relationship to Israel. I had no idea that I would learn so much in such a relatively short time. Today, I prepare to leave Israel with a greater appreciation for the country, for Judaism, and myself.

The next few weeks will simply be “wrap-up” in all my classes. I have two papers and five exams to study for in order to be called a second year student. I’ll slowly transition back into the states, finding out where I will be teaching as well as being a student rabbi next year. I’ll be leading Shacharit (Morning Services) in two weeks. I’ll be searching for health insurance, car insurance, making a budget – all to become immersed back into the states. Am I worried? Not really. Things seem to fall into place. After all, living in the moment – making the most of my last few weeks in Israel – is more important to me that getting all A’s in my classes. This Year has truly changed me for the better – new friends, new knowledge, and a new perspective in life.

B’Shalom,

PJ

1 comment:

Brian Barker said...

I live in London, the center of the English speaking Universe. I am also a building manager and the fact that polish plumbers do not speak English, quite bluntly "does my head in"
In practical terms English is a non-starter as the future global language. Seriously.
If you've heard of Zamenhof, you'll also know Esperanto. In practical terms, it works well.
Please check! http://www.Esperanto.net