Friday, November 16, 2007

Hello, Again

I know that I haven't been good about updating my blog recently, and I promise you I will try and do better.

In the meantime, we are in the midst of midterm exams and I've come to the realization that my study skills from college are not 100% assisting me in Graduate School. Both my Liturgy and History classes are structured by our readings and once a week lectures. Maybe its because we only meet for an hour and a half each week (while I have Hebrew 4 days a week and Bible 3 days a week for the same amount of time), but I am beginning to get concerned about my understanding of the material. I spoke with my Liturgy professor this past week and he ensured me that the "struggle" I am having is normal and it's important for me to ease into the different study process. I trust him, but I am also exploring other ways to internalize the material better. With my limited time outside of class each week, I can't always spend hours reading for one class and writing notes for my readings. And while I always do get the "headlines," the details I have always been able to grasp aren't sinking in. Fortunately I am not falling behind in these classes because of this difficulty, and I have time to figure it out before my finals in January.

I've also begun to work on my D'var Torah that I am presenting during Shacharit (morning) services on December 17. A week later, I'll be chanting Torah for the first time EVER. What is great about these two days is not only the fact that I can share my ideas and express myself through cantillation, but Michelle and my parents will be here during that time and it will be great for them to see me do these awesome things. I also found out Austin is heading to Israel as well through Birthright, and it looks like he'll extend his trip to join me and our parents up North.

As most of you know, I'll be heading back to the states for two weeks in January for my winter break. While I'll have the opportunity to spend time with Michelle and my parents in December, school will inevitably keep me busy and sometimes preoccupied. Going home will be a great chance to spend time with my family and friends when I'll have the chance to breathe and relax. I think a quality that I have taken of my father's is that I already have found myself work to do during the break! It would be beneficial for me to organize and review my Hebrew notes from this semester and begin my reading for my Rabbinics class that I will begin in the Spring. But Dad has also taught me to enjoy any time off, but the older I get, the less I'll have it! A fellow classmate suggested that I buy the book in the states and begin studying the introductory material if I haven't had any previous experience with Talmud and Midrash. I'm going to take her advice. I'll be spending January 11-17 in Greenville, and I promised my mom that I won't have any desire to go to our tradition of lunch at Pita House (a Middle Eastern Restaurant) and I might just want to go to lunch at a good ole' American establishment. From Thursday night, January 17, until the 25th, I'll be in Charleston visiting my other home. It will be really nice to see everyone and have a separation from the HUC world for a couple weeks.

What else? I also have the opportunity to lead a sermon on April 12 on a Saturday morning Shabbat. The difference between this and the D'var Torah is not only the length, but I'll have the chance to express myself a little more. The D'var Torah has specific requirements that we must abide by, as it is an exercise for the students to begin getting comfortable with the texts of Talmud, Midrash, and other Rabbinic Literature and commentary.

I've also begun to work on preparating for my trip to the Former Soviet Union during Pesach. There are only about 6 or so Rabbis in this area, and it is a great service to the congregations for Rabbinic, Cantorial, and Education Students to lead them in the Pesach celebration! That will be my next major trip before I return to the states in May. It's amazing to think that it is already the holiday season in the states, and I'm already thinking about May!

It will be weird over the next month because things are very normal here in Jerusalem - the holiday spirit has already passed us and life must go on. As a result, I have class next Thursday on Thanksgiving, and may be stumbling into school on New Year's Day after a long night of celebrating. It will be interesting though to experience Israel during this time, as the Hannukah spirit WILL start to come upon us!

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Miss you,

PJ

No comments: